Tuesday 6 August 2013

Trip to The Gathering, Rochester, New York 2013 - Part 3

Awake reasonably early again, today I decided to go for a swim in the hotel pool.


I had it all to myself and really enjoyed the swim. There was also a jacuzzi which was also very nice.


This was the view of the rooftops that I could see whilst I was swimming.



So after another yummy breakfast at the hotel, I met Debbie and Tori in the lobby to go The Corning Museum of Glass. Tori drove and the journey took a little over an hour.

I had toyed with hiring a car and driving to Niagara Falls as it was only 1 and a half hours away from Rochester but had read that July is the busiest time to visit with lots of queues plus it has been a while since I drove in the states and I was never on my own. Now I am really glad that I chose not to do the trip as the roads are a little confusing at first.

The Corning Museum has a collection of 35 centuries of glass art as well as live glass making demonstrations, workshops, a section on innovation and a HUGE shop.

These were some of my favourite pieces in the gallery

My favourite flower, The stargazer lilly.

 
 
 
 
 
Outside was a live demonstration of glass making.

 
  

Inside was a live demonstation of the making of a borosilicate goblet which we caught the tail end of


Back inside there was this gigantic necklace, I liked the reflections of the string of beads in each bead and took this photo, I'm not sure how well you can see that.

 
and of course where would we be without glass beads. For this summer Corning has an exhibition called...
 

I'm not sure whether it was to co-incide with The Gathering but it was interesting to see all the old and new beads together.

Kristina Logans Constellation necklace was on display (I borrowed this photo from the Corning website as the picture I took of the one behind glass wasn't the best)


I'm pretty sure that one of JC Herrells beads were the lastest to be added to the collection but I don't seem to have a photo of it and I can't find it on Cornings website.

We spent a long time looking around the gift shop and admiring the work of some well known beadmakers. Tori bought a lot of her christmas presents there.

We headed into the town of Corning and had a look around a few of the cutsie antique and clothing shops and then had dinner in a pub which had been recommended to us. I'm not going to mention the name of it because I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. The service was extremely slow and the food meadiocre.

It was a lovely day trip and I was very grateful to Tori and Debbie for taking me.

Next up, Holly Coopers workshop.

Thanks for looking.

Linda
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...